CUT SRC want to continue with free education protests

Photo: Mark Steenbok

The Central University of Technology’s (CUT) management says academic activities at their Bloemfontein and Welkom campuses will only continue on Monday, 17 October.

University spokesperson, Dan Maritz, says a revised academic programme to compensate for lost time will be communicated soon. He says security visibility has been increased on campus as a safety precaution. He also added that administrative and other campus services are open.

Meanwhile, SRC president, Ngozo Thapelo, says they will continue with the shutdown despite the announcement by management of the institution that classes will continue.

“As much as we want to go to class, we cannot leave this gap unoccupied. Last year we were protesting for the very same thing (free education), this year we must protest again. The shutdown will continue on campus, although in a peaceful manner while we are sending the message to the ANC government that we want free education,” says Thapelo.

He mentioned that they are planning to march with students from the University of the Free State for free education.

The nine students from CUT who were arrested on Tuesday for illegal gathering are set to appear in the local Magistrate’s Court again on November 23. They have been released on warning with conditions.

-Mark Steenbok